I’ve been trying recipes that claim to be “copycat Panera Bread” Broccoli Cheddar soups for a couple years now and haven’t found any to my liking – until tonight. I almost never post a recipe same day, but this soup was SO close to Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar soup that I couldn’t wait to share.
For all the primal peeps out there – substitute arrowroot powder or tapioca starch. I used flour because I didn’t have arrowroot on hand this time around.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ medium chopped onion
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup flour (or arrowroot powder)
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- lots of fresh broccoli (I used about 4 cups)
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 8-16 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese (depending on how much cheese you like)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion in 1 tablespoon melted butter and set aside. In a large pot whisk together the melted butter and flour over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Let them simmer on medium low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Add salt and pepper and sharp cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve. For a smoother soup puree it with a handheld blender, but I kept it chunky. SO yummy!