I recently watched the movie Julie & Julia and felt inspired to use my new dutch oven to make the classic French dish Boeuf Bourguignon. I can’t pronounce it but I can eat it. This dish turned out yummy – there’s a lot of wine in it (so much that it almost makes the meat purple tinted) so if you aren’t a fan of wine, substitute it with beef broth.
3 -4 lbs of beef (I used boneless ribs, and cut them into 1 in pieces)
4 – 6 large carrots (depends on how many veggies you like)
2 garlic cloves
1 package of mushrooms
4 TBSP of butter
1/2 tsp of basil
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
1/2 – 1 tsp of parsley
1 cup of beef broth
3 cups of dry red wine
- Preheat oven to 325
- Place 2 T butter in a large pan.
- Cut beef into 1 inch chunks and brown beef evenly.
- Put into large baking or casserole dish with cover
- Chop carrot and onions and brown slightly in the same pan and then put in baking/casserole dish with beef. Add mushrooms.
- Mince garlic and sprinkle over beef
- Sprinkle mixture with spices
- Pour broth and wine over mixture and cover baking pan or casserole dish- can also use foil if you don’t have a covered casserole dish
- Cook in oven 3 hours until beef is fork tender and breaks apart easily.
- Remove from oven, let sit 10 minutes before serving and serve with salad of choice.